Lessen asthma symptoms, reduce the spread of germs, and eliminate hazards to make your house a safe place for family and friends. A home that isn’t kept clean increases your odds of developing chronic health issues. Here are a few tips for keeping a healthy and safe home.
Make Your Home Healthy and Safe by Eliminating Mold
Mold thrives in a damp environment and can cause allergy-like symptoms and asthma flare-ups. To reduce the likelihood of mold growing in your home, clean spills immediately. Wipe up moisture from dishwashing and cooking. Hang wet towels and swimwear to dry instead of allowing them to pile up on the floor. If your home often has high humidity, run a dehumidifier to help control the moisture in the air.
Test for Radon
Radon gas is created when uranium breaks down in the soil. This radioactive gas is dangerous because it’s a leading cause of lung cancer, second only to cigarette smoking. Hire a professional to perform a radon test. He or she will know how to administer the test and how to interpret the results. If high levels of radon are found, hire a professional to design a mitigation system and improve the air quality in your home.
Filter Your Drinking Water
Make your home healthier by providing clean drinking water for your family. A water purifier will help to eliminate bacteria, sediment, and chlorine. Order a water quality test to learn about the types of contaminants in your tap water. Based on the results, you can choose the best type of filter for your home.
Keep a First-Aid Kit
Have a well-stocked first-aid kit on hand to manage minor accidents that may happen in your home. Your kit should contain supplies to treat minor cuts and bruises along with essentials to handle a more serious injury until professional help arrives. Keep a first-aid kit in your home, garage, and your car.
Regular Dusting is Essential for a Healthy and Safe Home
Dusting eliminates bacteria, germs, allergens, and pet dander. These irritants can cause chronic respiratory complications. Dusting your home regularly will boost your health. It’s equally important to vacuum often and wash upholstery, carpets, and bedding on a regular basis.
Install CO Detectors
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that results from the incomplete combustion of carbon elements. CO can cause dizziness, nausea, and even death. Installing CO detectors is important to keep your family safe. If a CO detector sounds, your family and pets should leave the home immediately. Call a professional to find and repair the problem.
MN Pro Home Inspections provides inspection services to the Twin Cities in Minnesota. Contact us to schedule an inspection.