When the temperatures drop, many insects and rodents look for a warmer place to spend the winter. Your home can provide an appealing shelter, especially if they find food there. However, no one wants pests in their home. Not only are insects and rodents a nuisance, but they carry diseases and contaminate your food. To keep your home healthy and safe, here are a few tips to keep pests out of your house this winter.
Quick and Easy Ways to Keep Pests Out of Your House
1. Inspect the exterior of your home for cracks, gaps, and holes and seal these areas with caulk or an expanding foam product. You’ll help keep rodents like mice and rats from getting inside.
2. Keep the gutters clean and free of debris. Clogged gutters provide a place for mosquitoes to breed. Plus, they can lead to water-damaged siding and roofing materials, giving pests an easy way inside.
3. Store food in sealed, airtight containers and remove crumbs from countertops to deter rats, mice, and ants from entering your home in search of food.
4. Keep the trash can lid closed and empty the bin regularly. A full trash can invites flies, cockroaches, and other pests.
5. Get rid of standing water around your home, as it can attract mosquitos looking to lay their eggs. Check the exterior of your home and empty dog bowls, bird baths, or flower pots that may have collected rainwater.
6. If you have a pet, put them on a regular flea and tick preventive treatment schedule, as pests can get into your home on their fur.
7. Regularly vacuum, sweep, and mop your floors to remove crumbs that may attract insects or mice.
8. Have your chimney cleaned annually, as it’s a common entry point for birds, squirrels, and other small animals looking for a warm place to nest during winter.
9. Take measures to prevent termites by having annual wood-destroying insect inspections, being aware of signs of termites, and keeping firewood stacked away from your home’s foundation.
10. Keep an eye out for signs of bed bugs, such as tiny brown stains on sheets or small red bites on the skin that appear in a line or cluster pattern.
Call a Professional for Assistance
Call a professional pest control company immediately for assistance if you see evidence of rodents or insects in your home. It’s essential to eradicate the pests before they multiply. Household pests are more than just a nuisance; they can pose health risks to you and your family. Take proactive measures to prevent them from moving in this winter. Following these tips will keep pests out of your house in all seasons.
MN Pro Home Inspections offers inspections to customers in the Twin Cities and Western Wisconsin. Contact us to request our services.